‘Passion of a Lifetime’: Gooding’s first UK auction cars are revealed
The details of Gooding’s mystery single-collection auction in London on 1 April have been announced; 16 cars from the collection of Belgian connoisseur Hubert Fabri. Simon offers his take on a significant auction that features some fascinating cars, all from long-term ownership by one of Europe’s most respected enthusiasts.
Regular Gooding auctioneer Charlie Ross will be at the rostrum, but the Californians will be taking a leaf out of the European auction houses’ books by increasing the buyer’s premium significantly, to 15% on the first £500,000, 12% on the remainder, with VAT at 20% then added to the premium. The sale will be held at Somerset House, a historic venue close to the Thames. Apparently the Royal Albert Hall – where Christie’s sold the Bugatti Royale in November 1987 – was considered but unavailable.
“What a difference provenance makes: when anything is offered for the first time in years, and from a good home, even the most jaded buyers sit up and pay attention. Hubert’s passion and eye for quality are renowned, and his cars are always ‘on the button’, ready to be driven hard and fast. This will be the auction of the year and I expect some new records will be set. Some of these cars just won’t come up again.”
The cars (net estimate, without premium):
* 1961 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato. Est. £7,000,000 - £9,000,000
* 1955 Aston Martin DB3S. Est. £3,000,000 - £4,000,000
* 1935 Aston Martin Ulster. Est. £1,600,000 - £2,200,000
* 1952 Bentley R-Type Continental Fastback. Est. £1,500,000 - £2,000,000
* 1939 Bentley 4 1/4 Litre Cabriolet. Est £450,000 - £600,000
* 1927 Bentley 3 Litre Speed Model Sports Tourer. Est. £350,000 - £450,000
* 1934 Bugatti Type 59 Sports. Est. £10,000,000+
* 1937 Bugatti Type 57S Atalante. £7,000,000+
* 1928 Bugatti Type 35C Grand Prix. Est. £3,000,000+
* 1971 Lamborghini Miura P400 SV (pictured, above). Est. £1,600,000 - £2,000,000
* 1965 Lamborghini 350 GT. Est. £400,000 - £550,000
* 1955 Lancia Aurelia B24S Spider America. Est. £700,000 - £900,000
* 1959 Lancia Flaminia 2500 Sport. Est. £400,000 - £500,000
* 1924 Lancia Lambda 3rd Series Torpédo. Est. £320,000 - £400,000.
* 1919 Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Silver Ghost Alpine Eagle Tourer. Est. £1,000,000 - £1,400,000
* 1924 Vauxhall 30-98 OE-Type Wensum. Est. £800,000 - £1,200,000
The auction happens on Wednesday, 1 April at 5pm at Somerset House in London. Viewing hours are Tuesday, 31 March from 9am to 4pm, and Wednesday, 1 April from 9am to 4pm.
Photo by Kidston SA