Second Phil Hill automobilia sale crosses the line at $1.1m+
Enthusiasm for trophies, helmets, watches and memorabilia once owned by the great American Formula 1 World Champion Phil Hill remains undiminished. In the latest tranche of items offered online by Gooding, all 306 lots sold, grossing $1,156,156.
Top-selling item was the Californian’s famous brown Herbert Johnson racing helmet (pictured, top), which sold for $193,750. His Ford/Shelby American Cobra team jacket achieved $61,250.
Top Ten Sales:
* Herbert Johnson racing helmet worn by Phil Hill, sold for $193,750
* Rolex ‘Zenith’ Daytona Watch, ref. 16520, sold for $100,000
* Original script for the 1966 MGM Film Grand Prix, sold for $63,750
* Ford/Shelby American Cobra Team jacket, c.1963, sold for $61,250
* Racing helmet worn by Phil Hill, c. 1963-1967, sold for $45,000
* 1958 24 Hours of Le Mans Pilote coin and signed letter from Enzo Ferrari to Phil Hill, sold for $33,750
* 1962 24 Hours of Le Mans Distance Cup, sold for $27,500
* Scuderia Ferrari driver's agreement for Phil Hill to participate in 1959 Targa Florio, Nürburgring 1,000Km, 24 Hours of Le Mans, 10 Hours of Messina, and Reims Sport Car Races, $26,875
* 1955 Elkhart Lake's Road America Road Race Trophies, driver badge, entrant plaque, and official programme, sold for $20,625
* Significant items from Phil Hill's victory with Ferrari at the 1958 12 Hours of Sebring, sold for $20,625
The third and final online sale of Phil Hill memorabilia organised by Gooding & Co will take place from 15 March to 26 March 2021. See goodingco.com
Photo strictly copyright and courtesy of the Hill Family Archive